openbricks / XBMC
Sebastian Gabbert
2011-06-03 18:17:08 UTC
Hi,

I'd like to try XBMC on pandaboard and read on the list to use
openbricks for that.
After three days of trying to build openbricks I just wanted to ask if
anyone had build it successfull, yet? Cause I wasn't able...

I had multiple compile problems in the openbricks and openbricks-next
repository. My Hostsystem is an ubuntu 11.04.

I'm thankfull for any kind of advice or report of (not) successfull
builds ;)

Thanks
orbarron

Thanks
Benjamin Zores
2011-06-03 18:44:21 UTC
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
Hi,
I'd like to try XBMC on pandaboard and read on the list to use
openbricks for that.
After three days of trying to build openbricks I just wanted to ask if
anyone had build it successfull, yet? Cause I wasn't able...
I had multiple compile problems in the openbricks and openbricks-next
repository. My Hostsystem is an ubuntu 11.04.
I'm thankfull for any kind of advice or report of (not) successfull
builds ;)
No troubles for me with -next branch.
What's your issue ?
Thanks
Sebastian Gabbert
2011-06-04 17:16:11 UTC
Hi,

I would call them casual build errors, but the amount of them drives me
crazy. At the moment I wrestle with an error caused by "not finding
cursor.dat", I suppose it's cause it looks for directfb-1.4.11 but
installs/compiles 1.4.13... grep is running.

But I had issues installing the tiwifi and bluetooth,too. Caused by some
missing header files. I simply "solved" it by disabling the package in
the configuration... I only was concerned that it isn't possible to
compile a running version, yet.

Thanks for giving me hope ;)
Thanks
Benjamin Zores
2011-06-04 18:27:53 UTC
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
Hi,
I would call them casual build errors, but the amount of them drives me
crazy. At the moment I wrestle with an error caused by "not finding
cursor.dat", I suppose it's cause it looks for directfb-1.4.11 but
installs/compiles 1.4.13... grep is running.
Will check this out but you don't need directfb for xbmc on panda.

I'd suggest you ./scripts/loadcfg with geexbox-xbmc-panda config to have everything needed selected for you.

Ben
Thanks
Sebastian Gabbert
2011-06-05 23:20:05 UTC
Hi again,

thanks for that hint with loadcfg ;) After resetting everything to 0 and
start with that script I was able to build a running version!

But now I want to user IVA, too. I added Ducati/IVA, libVA and the
VA-Api for xbmc and called make again. It build several new packages,
but didn't rebuild xbmc. I have no hardware accerlation, yet.

How can I force openbricks to rebuild the package? I really do not
understand the script-folder and the documentation isn't that helpful.
(Is hardware video accerlation possible using openbricks???)

Thanks
Sebastian
Thanks
Benjamin Zores
2011-06-06 05:23:06 UTC
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
Hi again,
thanks for that hint with loadcfg ;) After resetting everything to 0 and
start with that script I was able to build a running version!
But now I want to user IVA, too. I added Ducati/IVA, libVA and the
VA-Api for xbmc and called make again. It build several new packages,
but didn't rebuild xbmc. I have no hardware accerlation, yet.
In menuconfig, you'll also need to enable the required use flags in xbmc package. Though xbmc arm hw acceleration won't use libva at all.
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
How can I force openbricks to rebuild the package? I really do not
understand the script-folder and the documentation isn't that helpful.
Scripts are usually handled automatically and not meant to be called by end user.
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
(Is hardware video accerlation possible using openbricks???)
It is with gstreamer, which xbmc doesn't uses _yet_. I know that rob however is working on that.

So right now it's an xbmc issue, not openbricks one.

Ben
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
Thanks
Sebastian
Thanks
Rob Clark
2011-06-06 14:19:52 UTC
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Benjamin Zores
Post by Benjamin Zores
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
(Is hardware video accerlation possible using openbricks???)
It is with gstreamer, which xbmc doesn't uses _yet_. I know that rob however is working on that.
or rather will as soon as I get a free moment..

the basic issue (and maybe someone out there who knows GL/XBMC better)
with the patches for GStreamer support in XBMC is that they are
relying on a sw color conversion after the decoder. (Don't remember
if it was to RGB or I420..)

This would never work w/ gst-openmax, but should at least function w/
gst-ducati (at least if you have my patch to make ffmpegcolorspace
understand rowstride). But would be slow because decoded buffers are
uncached normally.

Now if there was a way to get XMBC to understand NV12, possibly via a
shader, that would be better. If it could use IMG texture streaming
extension, it would be even better (ie. no issue for 1080p/30). But
I'm not an expert on the XBMC side of things..

BR,
-R
Vladimir Pantelic
2011-06-06 14:37:27 UTC
Post by Benjamin Zores
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
(Is hardware video accerlation possible using openbricks???)
It is with gstreamer, which xbmc doesn't uses _yet_. I know that rob however is working on that.
or rather will as soon as I get a free moment..
the basic issue (and maybe someone out there who knows GL/XBMC better)
with the patches for GStreamer support in XBMC is that they are
relying on a sw color conversion after the decoder. (Don't remember
if it was to RGB or I420..)
This would never work w/ gst-openmax, but should at least function w/
gst-ducati (at least if you have my patch to make ffmpegcolorspace
understand rowstride). But would be slow because decoded buffers are
uncached normally.
can't ffmpegcolorspace just die, instead of beating on it constantly?

you really want to use the IVAHD to do 1080P full HD and then do
color conversion with unoptimized C code?
Post by Rob Clark
Now if there was a way to get XMBC to understand NV12, possibly via a
shader, that would be better. If it could use IMG texture streaming
extension, it would be even better (ie. no issue for 1080p/30). But
I'm not an expert on the XBMC side of things..
XBMC learned to use omap3 V4L2 overlays in the GSOC project we did for
the beagle, I see no reason why that couldn't be done for panda as
well....
Rob Clark
2011-06-06 15:07:18 UTC
Post by Vladimir Pantelic
Post by Rob Clark
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Benjamin Zores
 (Is hardware video accerlation possible using openbricks???)
 It is with gstreamer, which xbmc doesn't uses _yet_. I know that rob
however is working on that.
or rather will as soon as I get a free moment..
the basic issue (and maybe someone out there who knows GL/XBMC better)
with the patches for GStreamer support in XBMC is that they are
relying on a sw color conversion after the decoder.  (Don't remember
if it was to RGB or I420..)
This would never work w/ gst-openmax, but should at least function w/
gst-ducati (at least if you have my patch to make ffmpegcolorspace
understand rowstride).  But would be slow because decoded buffers are
uncached normally.
can't ffmpegcolorspace just die, instead of beating on it constantly?
yes please :-)
Post by Vladimir Pantelic
you really want to use the IVAHD to do 1080P full HD and then do
color conversion with unoptimized C code?
well, even NEON would suck for uncached buffer..

There is a newish gst element, autovideoconvert, which can autoplug
platform specific hw accelerated elements. And there are a couple hw
blocks in OMAP4 which could be useful for a color convert. All that
is needed is a "little" bit of software ;-)
Post by Vladimir Pantelic
Post by Rob Clark
Now if there was a way to get XMBC to understand NV12, possibly via a
shader, that would be better.  If it could use IMG texture streaming
extension, it would be even better (ie. no issue for 1080p/30).  But
I'm not an expert on the XBMC side of things..
XBMC learned to use omap3 V4L2 overlays in the GSOC project we did for
the beagle, I see no reason why that couldn't be done for panda as
well....
overlays would for sure be the optimal thing currently, if this
support already exists somewhere

BR,
-R
Sebastian Gabbert
2011-06-06 14:56:11 UTC
Thanks again for the answer...

I am realy confused and helpless using openbricks and pandaboard. For
both it is hard to get the right information or better the right
buzzwords to google after them. Second thing: Is this the right mailing
list for questions regarding openbricks? On openbricks.org I only found
the devel-mailinglist and I am not able to do serious development ;)

As far as I understand: Atm I need to use gstreamer with Ducatisupport
to get hardware accerlation? In terms of openbricks, i need to use
enna-mediacenter. I switched the options in make menuconfig and compiled
again. After copying xbmc starts still. So I deleted everything on the
sd and the binary-directory with the flat-fs. And "make" again. Now
nothing starts and I simply get the prompt. There are no error messages
at all. Any hints?

Thanks
Sebastian
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
(Is hardware video accerlation possible using openbricks???)
It is with gstreamer, which xbmc doesn't uses _yet_. I know that rob however is working on that.
So right now it's an xbmc issue, not openbricks one.
Ben
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
Thanks
Sebastian
Thanks
Benjamin Zores
2011-06-06 15:19:17 UTC
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Sebastian Gabbert
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
Thanks again for the answer...
I am realy confused and helpless using openbricks and pandaboard. For
both it is hard to get the right information or better the right
buzzwords to google after them. Second thing: Is this the right mailing
list for questions regarding openbricks? On openbricks.org I only found
the devel-mailinglist and I am not able to do serious development ;)
Openbricks dev-list is better suited for build issues.
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
As far as I understand: Atm I need to use gstreamer with Ducatisupport
to get hardware accerlation? In terms of openbricks, i need to use
enna-mediacenter. I switched the options in make menuconfig and compiled
again. After copying xbmc starts still. So I deleted everything on the
sd and the binary-directory with the flat-fs. And "make" again. Now
nothing starts and I simply get the prompt. There are no error messages
at all. Any hints?
You'll have to enable enna (with gstreamer support) and disable xbmc for that.
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
(Is hardware video accerlation possible using openbricks???)
It is with gstreamer, which xbmc doesn't uses _yet_. I know that rob however is working on that.
So right now it's an xbmc issue, not openbricks one.
Ben
Post by Sebastian Gabbert
Thanks
Sebastian
Thanks
m***@public.gmane.org
2011-06-06 23:31:43 UTC
Hello!

I suggest to jump to the xmbc thread for ARM boards (see link below).
There are currently some issues with the video driver as well as sdl
plus the required code seems to be scattered around different places.
Still I think this is best way to get started, as several other user
also have the Pandaboard.

Here is the thread....
BMC Community Forum --> Development --> XBMC Feature Suggestions -->
[LINUX] XBMC for Linux port to ARM architecture CPU and SoC chips?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=35139&page=50

If you start around page 40+ the more important details should show up.